Barbakan

If I had a top 10 of favourite food shops Barbakan Delicatessen would definitely be on it. Named after the market place in Kracow, they sell a wide range of continental breads and delicatessen products. Situated in Chorlton, people travel a long way to visit this shop.

When you arrive, make sure you pick up a numbered ticket from the dispenser by the door. There's always a queue (and I counted at least 10 people serving) which shows how popular this place is. You can buy different Polish styles of bread, and also Danish, French, German, Irish, Italian Bread, Greek bread. In fact pick up an A5 colour brochure if you can, there's 8 pages showing different breads they make. All the bread is freshly baked daily in their bakery. Each loaf is hand moulded and baked on the sole of the oven

I have diabetes, so avoid cakes, but my family tell me the pear and chocolate sponge and coconut cakes are very good. They also do amongst many other things, nice croissants and doughnuts.

I was once in the queue when the man in front bought a loaf of chocolate bread, made with Belgian chocolate. If you're expecting it to taste like chocolate sponge, you will be dissapointed. They recommend sliced banana and honey or cream cheese or on it's own. I once made a bread and butter pudding with the chocolate bread.
Barbakan also sell unusual (for me anyway) salads and an excellent selection of cooked meats and cheeses. I like Mrs Kirham's Lancashire cheese which they sell.
They were selling hot German sausages outside the shop on Saturday, but I don't know if this is a regular occurrence.
Barbakan Delicatessen
67-71 Manchester Road
Chorlton-cum-Hardy
Manchester
M21 9PW
Tel: 0161 881 7053

Comments